Clinical Manual for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- List Price
- APA Members
- APA Resident-Fellow Members
The Clinical Manual for the Treatment of Schizophrenia provides a wide-ranging, empirically based review of assessment and treatment issues in schizophrenia, offered from a multicultural and supremely patient-centered perspective. The following features reflect the care taken in developing this manual, as well as the inclusive nature of the contents:
- The initial chapter offers a thorough introduction to the disease—its history, etiology, epidemiology, risk factors, and social aspects—seen through the lens of a case study. The chapter ends with an overview of the diagnostic process, allowing the reader to place what follows into context.
- The basic science underlying schizophrenia is explained next, with coverage of biological markers; brain structure, function, and cytology; the dopamine and glutamate hypotheses; and the neurodevelopmental model of the disease.
- The chapter on clinical assessment focuses on making the differential diagnosis according to established criteria, with emphasis on a person-oriented approach that takes into account early trauma, stressful events, and the subjective well-being of the patient.
- Subsequent chapters explore cognition, comorbidity, substance abuse, and treatment-resistant symptoms in schizophrenia.
- Finally, chapters on the pharmacological and psychosocial treatment of schizophrenia compare and contrast these approaches, ensuring that the reader is completely up-to-date and knowledgeable about available treatment options.
Clinicians who work with schizophrenic patients in a variety of settings—from private practice to emergency departments—will benefit from the scholarship and experience of this manual's astute and insightful authors.
- Disclosure of Competing Interests
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Schizophrenia
- Chapter 2. Basic Science Underlying Schizophrenia
- Chapter 3. Prodromal Phase and First-Episode Schizophrenia
- Chapter 4. Clinical Assessment in Schizophrenia
- Chapter 5. Cognition and Schizophrenia
- Chapter 6. Comorbidity in Schizophrenia
- Chapter 7. Substance Use Disorders and Schizophrenia
- Chapter 8. Pharmacological Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Chapter 9. Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia
- Chapter 10. Psychological Interventions for Schizophrenia
- Chapter 11. Family Issues and Treatment in Schizophrenia
- Chapter 12. Remission in Schizophrenia
- Gaurava Agarwal, M.D.
Mario alvarez-Jimenez, Ph.D.
Pamela B. Arenella, M.D.
Stephanie D. Bagby-Stone, M.D.
Tara K. Biehl, M.S.
Michael P. Bogenschutz, M.D.
Andrea Cantisani, M.D.
Will J. Cronenwett, M.D.
Lisa B. Dixon, M.D., M.P.H.
Amy L. Drapalski, Ph.D.
W. Wolfgang Fleischhacker, M.D.
Eoin Killackey, D.Psych.
John Lauriello, M.D.
Patrick D. McGorry, M.D., Ph.D.
Alan J. Mendelowitz, M.D.
Seiya Miyamoto, M.D., Ph.D.
Tamiko Mogami, Ph.D.
Kazuyuki Nakagome, M.D., Ph.D.
Barnaby Nelson, Ph.D.
Stefano Pallanti, M.D.
Leonardo Quercioli, M.D.
Ilaria Riccardi, Ph.D.
Volker Roder, Ph.D.
Alessandro Rossi, M.D.
Stephanie Schmidt, M.Sc.
Paolo Stratta, M.D.
Werner Strik, M.D.
Laine M. Young-Walker, M.D.
Alison R. Yung, M.D.
About the Authors
John Lauriello, M.D., is Professor and Chancellor's Chair of Excellence in Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Missouri School of Medicine, and Medical Director of the University of Missouri Psychiatric Center in Columbia, Missouri.
Stefano Pallanti, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Florence in Florence, Italy; and Visiting Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, New York.
The editors of this volume have produced a concise, contemporary, well-referenced text that is an effective introduction and update for clinicians who care for people with schizophrenia... I recommend the book to anyone who works with people with schizophrenia and wants an accurate and able account of the literature.—Abraham M. Nussbaum, M.D., M.T.S., The American Journal of Psychiatry
This well-written book covers very important topics that often are not adequately covered in other books, and I further appreciate how the editors strive to focus on international contributions to the field.—Aaron Plattner, M.D., Doody Enterprises, Inc.
Carousel Control - items will scroll by tabbing through them, otherwise arrows can be used to scroll one item at a time