The Art and Science of Brief Psychotherapies, Third Edition
A Practitioner's Guide
- List Price
- APA Members
- APA Resident-Fellow Members
With all of the expert-authored content that made previous editions indispensable references for students and practitioners alike, this third edition of The Art and Science of Brief Psychotherapies: A Practitioner's Guide has been updated to reflect this rapidly changing field.
Most chapters include new material that documents recent developments within existing models, and new chapters tackle topics that include the following:
- Multicultural practice
- Motivational interviewing
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Internet-based interventions
All chapters summarize the ideas underlying each modality, the evidence for effectiveness, and the techniques and interventions central to each.
In this edition, the DVD of videos has been replaced with 40 updated streaming videos—available on desktop and mobile devices—that show experienced practitioners engaged in a range of brief therapies, allowing for a deeper and richer learning experience for readers.
In a national and global environment of limited economic resources and multiple demands on patients' time, short-term treatment modalities are increasingly important. Integrating theory, research, and step-by-step procedures, The Art and Science of Brief Psychotherapies is an ideal introduction to the range of short-term therapies for psychiatry residents, psychology interns, social work students, and experienced practitioners looking to broaden their practice.
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Part I: Building a Foundation for Successful Therapies
- Chapter 2. Essential Ingredients for Successful Psychotherapy: Effect of Common Factors
- Chapter 3. Mentalizing as a Common Factor in Psychotherapy
- Chapter 4. Integrating Culture and Psychotherapy Through the DSM-5 Cultural Formulation Interview
- Chapter 5: Combining Brief Psychotherapy and Medications
- Part II: Seven Key Brief Psychotherapies
- Chapter 6. Motivational Interviewing
- Chapter 7. Cognitive Therapy
- Chapter 8. Exposure Therapy for Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Chapter 9. Application and Techniques of Dialectic Behavior Therapy
- Chapter 10. Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: Building Strengths, Achieving Goals
- Chapter 11. Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Chapter 12. Time-Limited Dynamic Psychotherapy: An Integrative Perspective
- Part III: Special Topics
- Chapter 13. Telepsychiatry
- Chapter 14. Internet-Based Brief Therapies
- Chapter 15. Evaluating Competence in Brief Psychotherapy
- Part IV: Putting It All Together
- Chapter 16. Doing Therapy, Briefly: Overview and Synthesis
- Neil Aggarwal, M.D.,
Gerhard Andersson, Ph.D.
Anthony W. Bateman
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D.
Per Carlbring, Ph.D.
Edna B. Foa, Ph.D.
Peter Fonagy, Ph.D.
Thea Gallagher, Psy.D.
Seth J. Gillihan, Ph.D., LLC
Elizabeth A. Hembree, Ph.D.
Robert Hindman, Ph.D.
Hanna Levenson, Ph.D.
Roberto Lewis-Fernandez, M.D.
Marsha M. Linehan, Ph.D.
John Manring, M.D.
Steve Martino, Ph.D.
John Norcini, Ph.D.
Manuel Paris Jr., Psy.D.
About the Authors
Mantosh J. Dewan, M.D., Interim Dean, College of Medicine, and SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York
Brett N. Steenbarger, Ph.D., Teaching Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York
Roger P. Greenberg, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York
In this Third Edition of the Practitioner's Guide to Brief Psychotherapies, Dewan, Steenbarger, and Greenberg bring together several master therapists who provide step-by-step treatment delivery instructions for their respective approaches. In addition, in the accompanying videos readers get to see how the principles are put into practice by the master therapists themselves. A must have resource for anyone who is learning to do therapy briefly.—Joshua K. Swift, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Idaho State University
This third edition continues to remain an essential part of the clinician's library who is interested in the art and science of brief psychotherapy. Drs. Dewan, Steenbarger, and Greenberg have conscientiously selected leading experts in the field to discuss recent innovations in brief therapies and masterfully offer a series of several videos to accompany the text, which really helps students and seasoned clinicians understand and appreciate how to conduct brief psychotherapy.—Steven K. Huprich, Ph.D., L.P., Fellow of APA Division 29, Professor of Psychology, Editor, Journal of Personality Assessment, President-Elect, International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders, Department of Psychology, University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI
The third edition remains on the cutting edge of brief therapies and provides a seamless learning package, with case illustrations, distinguished authors, practical methods, and DVD segments. Drs. Dewan, Steenbarger, and Greenberg feature eminently teachable, evidence-based treatments that now include cultural formulations, DBT, motivational interviewing, and telepractice. Enthusiastically recommended for those learning brief therapy as well as those teaching it!—John C. Norcross, Ph.D., ABPP, Distinguished Professor of Psychology, University of Scranton; Co-editor, Psychotherapy Relationships That Work and Handbook of Psychotherapy Integration
Carousel Control - items will scroll by tabbing through them, otherwise arrows can be used to scroll one item at a time