APA Resident-Fellow Members
The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, Third Edition
Edited by James L. Levenson, M.D.
- 1594 Pages
- Editorial Reviews
- ISBN 978-1-61537-199-0
- Item #37199
As with the first two editions, this third edition of The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry is the most comprehensive reference on the subspecialty available. Extensively revised and updated, this new edition also features 30 new authors.
The emphasis on a diversity of perspectives remains as strong as ever: Chapter authors represent a range of backgrounds and disciplines, and of opinions and viewpoints, and 24 of the 88 contributors are from countries other than the United States.
Organized into four sections, the textbook addresses
- General principles of evaluation and management, legal and ethical issues, and psychological reactions to illness.
- Psychiatric symptoms and disorders—including delirium, aggression, depression, suicidality, psychosis, anxiety, eating and sleep disturbances, sexual dysfunction, and substance use problems—commonly encountered in medically ill populations.
- Psychological and social aspects of diseases and disorders affecting the various organ systems.
- Psychiatric treatments in the medically ill, including psychopharmacology, psychotherapy, electroconvulsive and other neurostimulation therapies, and palliative care.
Encyclopedic in its scope and accessible in its presentation, The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry is an essential resource for psychiatry residents, psychosomatic medicine fellows, attending psychiatrists, and other specialists who need to stay up to date with the rapidly expanding evidence base in the field.
- PART I: General Principles in Evaluation and Management
- Chapter 1. Psychiatric Assessment and Consultation
- Chapter 2. Legal and Ethical Issues
- Chapter 3. Psychological Responses to Illness
- PART II: Symptoms and Disorders
- Chapter 4. Delirium
- Chapter 5. Dementia
- Chapter 6. Aggression and Violence
- Chapter 7. Depression
- Chapter 8. Suicidality
- Chapter 9. Psychosis, Mania, and Catatonia
- Chapter 10. Anxiety Disorders
- Chapter 11. Somatic Symptom Disorder and Illness Anxiety Disorder
- Chapter 12. Deception Syndromes: Factitious Disorders and Malingering
- Chapter 13. Eating Disorders
- Chapter 14. Sleep Disorders
- Chapter 15. Sexual Dysfunctions
- Chapter 16. Substance-Related Disorders
- PART III: Specialties and Subspecialties
- Chapter 17. Heart Disease
- Chapter 18. Lung Disease
- Chapter 19. Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Chapter 20. Renal Disease
- Chapter 21. Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
- Chapter 22. Oncology
- Chapter 23. Hematology
- Chapter 24. Rheumatology
- Chapter 25. Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Syndromes
- Chapter 26. Infectious Diseases
- Chapter 27. Dermatology
- Chapter 28. Surgery
- Chapter 29. Organ Transplantation
- Chapter 30. Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Chapter 31. Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Chapter 32. Pediatrics
- Chapter 33. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Chapter 34. Pain
- Chapter 35. Medical Toxicology
- PART IV: Treatment
- Chapter 36. Psychopharmacology
- Chapter 37. Psychotherapy
- Chapter 38. Electroconvulsive Therapy and Other Brain Stimulation Therapies
- Chapter 39. Palliative Care
- Yesne Alici, M.D.
Andrew R. Alkis, M.D.
David J. Axelrod, M.D., J.D.
Robert Bahnsen, M.D.
Rosemary Basson, M.D.
Madeleine Becker, M.D., M.A.
Charles H. Bombardier, Ph.D.
John Michael Bostwick, M.D.
William Breitbart, M.D.
Rebecca W. Brendel, M.D., J.D.
E. Sherwood Brown, M.D., Ph.D.
Brenda Bursch, Ph.D.
Alan J. Carson, M.Phil., M.D., FRCPsych, FRCP
Keira Chism, M.D., M.A.
Harvey Max Chochinov, M.D., Ph.D., FRCPC
Michael R. Clark, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A.
Catherine C. Crone, M.D.
Ericka L. Crouse, Pharm.D., BCPP, BCGP
Daniel Cukor, Ph.D.
Mary Amanda Dew, Ph.D.
Andrea F. DiMartini, M.D.
Andrew Edelstein, M.D.
Natacha D. Emerson, Ph.D.
Steven A. Epstein, M.D.
Jesse R. Fann, M.D., M.P.H.
Charles V. Ford, M.D.
Francis, Ph.D., M.D.
Oliver Freudenreich, M.D.
Gregory L. Fricchione, M.D.
Patricia Gracia-Garcia, M.D., Ph.D.
Mark S. Groves, M.D.
Angela S. Guarda, M.D.
Madhulika A. Gupta, M.D., M.Sc., FRCPC
Elspeth Guthrie, M.B., Ch.B., FRCPsych, M.Sc., M.D.
Raed Hawa, M.D.
Peter Henningsen, M.D.
J. Greg Hobelmann, M.D., M.P.H.
Michael R. Irwin, M.D.
Richard Kennedy, M.D.
Paul L. Kimmel, M.D.
Cynthia K. Kirkwood, Pharm.D., BCPP
Christopher Kogut, M.D.
Virginia Lois E. Krahn, M.D.
Juliet Kroll, M.A.
Alexandra Kulikova, M.S.
Jeanne M. Lackamp, M.D.
Albert F.G. Leentjens, M.D., Ph.D.
James L. Levenson, M.D.
Madeline Li, M.D., Ph.D., FRCPC
Ted S. Liao, M.D.
Antonio Lobo, M.D., Ph.D.
Constantine G. Lyketsos, M.D., M.H.S.
Mary Jane Massie, M.D.
Cheryl McCullumsmith, M.D., Ph.D.
David J. Meagher, M.D., MRCPsych, Ph.D.
Weronika Micula-Gondek, M.D.
Kimberley Miller, M.D., FRCPC
Philip R. Muskin, M.D., M.A.
Alyson K. Myers, M.D.
Ariana Nesbit, M.D., M.B.E.
Patrick G. O’Malley, M.D., M.P.H., FACP
Chiadi U. Onyike, M.D., M.H.S.
James A. Owen, Ph.D. (Deceased)
Miguel angel Quintanilla, M.D., Ph.D.
J. J. Rasimas, M.D., Ph.D.
Keith G. Rasmussen, M.D.
Peter M. Rees, M.D., Ph.D.
Thomas Ritz, Ph.D.
Gary Rodin, M.D., FRCPC
Joshua Rosenblat, M.D.
Deborah Rosenthal-Asher, Ph.D.
Pedro Saz, M.D., Ph.D.
Ronald Schouten, M.D., J.D.
Peter A. Shapiro, M.D.
Michael C. Sharpe, M.A., M.D., FRCP, FRCPsych
Akhil Shenoy, M.D., M.P.H
Felicia A. Smith, M.D.
Sanjeev Sockalingam, M.D.
Wolfgang Sollner, M.D.
Loretta Sonnier, M.D.
Theodore A. Stern, M.D.
Ned H. Cassem
Donna E. Stewart, C.M., M.D., FRCPC
Jon Stone, Ph.D., FRCP
Margaret L. Stuber, M.D.
Simone N. Vigod, M.D., M.Sc., FRCPC
Michael Weaver, M.D., DFASAM
Chelsey Werchan, M.A.
Elizabeth A. Wise, M.D.
Adam Zeman, M.A., D.M., FRCP
About the Authors
James L. Levenson, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry, Medicine, and Surgery; Chair of the Division of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry; and Vice-Chair of Psychiatry at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond, Virginia.
Dr. Levenson has done it again! With the Third Edition of The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine, he has presented consultation-liaison psychiatrists who care for complex medically and surgically ill patients with a comprehensive, reliable, go-to resource updated with DSM-5 diagnoses, current evidence-based information, and valuable clinical pearls. Written by an international group of experts, Dr. Levenson’s textbook includes a vast array of topics organized by common clinical consultation questions and by medical specialties. New and seasoned practitioners alike will find this latest revised volume to be clear, practical, and indispensable.—Maryland Pao, M.D., Pediatric and Adult Consultation Liaison Psychiatrist, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
This is a comprehensive, practical, and well-written textbook covering a wide range of topics important to practitioners of consultation-liaison psychiatry. The authors of each chapter are experts in the field and take a thoughtful and practical approach to each topic by outlining evidence and providing clear clinical guidance. There is no question that this is a hallmark text in the field and will be frequently consulted by trainees and experienced clinician alike.—Jeff C. Huffman, M.D., Associate Chief of Psychiatry for Clinical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Director, MGH Cardiac Psychiatry, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Overall, for a book that encompasses such a broad topic, it includes the right amount of detail. Readers wishing to have a reference for their clinical practice, to study for the consultation-liaison psychiatry boards, or to delve into the more medical aspects of psychiatry, will be well served by this highly readable, informative, practical, and, therefore, recommendable book.—Gabriel Heiber Bendayan, M.D., Doody's Book Review