The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry,
Edited by Robert E. Hales, M.D., M.B.A., Stuart C. Yudofsky, M.D., and Laura Weiss Roberts, M.D., M.A.
Foreword by David J. Kupfer, M.D.
Coming March 2014!
Special Prepublication Price of $215.00 until March 15, 2014 (thereafter $249.00)
With its sixth edition, The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry
, the definitive reference for students, residents, and clinicians, introduces a new generation of textbooks for the field. The only comprehensive psychiatry textbook to integrate all the new DSM-5®
criteria, this acclaimed gold standard has been revised, updated, and restructured to serve as a practical, authoritative guide for a new era in psychiatric education and practice. Key features include the following:
- The only comprehensive psychiatry textbook to be based on all the new DSM-5® criteria
- Serves as a companion book to DSM-5®: DSM-5® readers seeking to learn more about treatment can turn to the Textbook
- Part II, which discusses psychiatric disorders, parallels exactly the organizational format of DSM-5®
- 17 DSM-5® Task Force and Work Group members are chapter authors
- More than 70 new authors, including the leading authorities in their specialties with outstanding expertise in research, education, and treatment
- Concise yet comprehensive coverage of the topics most relevant to clinical practice
- Six new chapters, including “DSM-5® as a Framework for Psychiatric Diagnosis,” “Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders,” “Neurodevelopmental Disorders,” and “Mentalization Therapy”
- The latest evidence-based findings and standards of care for assessment and development, psychiatric disorders, treatments, and special populations
- “Key Clinical Points” at the end of each chapter
- Designed so readers can easily find and acquire information
- Streamlined, user-friendly format rich in easy-to-view features
- Recommended Web sites and readings for clinicians and patients in every chapter
- Ideal for psychiatry board preparation
The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry, Sixth Edition, continues the tradition of leading the field as the most authoritative, inclusive, relevant, and practical reference available.
Foreword. Part I: Assessment and development. The psychiatric interview and mental status examination. DSM-5 as a framework for psychiatric diagnosis. The role of psychiatric measures in assessment and treatment. Laboratory testing and imaging studies in psychiatry. Normal child and adolescent development. Clinical issues in psychiatry and the law. Ethical aspects of clinical psychiatry. Part II: Psychiatric disorders. Neurodevelopmental disorders. Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders. Bipolar and related disorders. Depressive disorders. Anxiety disorders. Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders. Trauma- and stressor-related disorders. Dissociative disorders. Somatic symptom and related disorders. Feeding and eating disorders. Elimination disorders. Sleep-wake disorders. Sexual dysfunctions. Gender dysphoria. Disruptive, impulse-control, and conduct disorders. Substance-related and addictive disorders. Neurocognitive disorders. Personality disorders. Paraphilic disorders. Part III: Treatments. Psychopharmacology. Brain stimulation therapies. Brief psychotherapies. Psychodynamic psychotherapy. Mentalizing in psychotherapy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy. Supportive psychotherapy. Part IV: Special Populations. Treatment of children and adolescents. Treatment of seniors. Treatment of culturally diverse populations. Treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender patients. Treatment of women. Index.
"The sixth edition of The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry
is a major achievement. This authoritative book covers the full breadth of psychiatry, from assessment, to the many diagnostic classes, to their comprehensive treatment � all in a single volume. The editors have assembled an impressive group of experts who share their collective knowledge about psychiatry and psychiatric disorders, sharing their deep wisdom along the way. If there is a comprehensive single volume on psychiatry worth having on your bookshelf, this is it."—Donald W. Black, M.D., Professor ofPsychiatry, University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA
"Congratulations to the editors. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry, Sixth Edition, is not a reference textbook for the shelf but rather is a comprehensive curriculum, a training program in a single volume that captures the breadth of what it means to practice psychiatry and articulates the tools to implement that practice. Outstanding authors who know their stuff deliver an oeuvre with value and staying power."—Jerrold F. Rosenbaum, M.D., Chief of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital; Stanley Cobb Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Robert E. Hales, M.D., M.B.A.,
is Joe P. Tupin Chair and Distinguished Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of California�Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, California; Medical Director for Sacramento County Mental Health; and Editor-in-Chief of books for American Psychiatric Publishing.
Stuart C. Yudofsky, M.D., is D.C. and Irene Ellwood Professor and Chairman, and the Drs. Beth K. and Stuart C. Yudofsky Presidential Chair of Neuropsychiatry, of the Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Baylor College of Medicine; Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas; and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences.
Laura Weiss Roberts, M.D., M.A., is Chairman and Katharine Dexter McCormick and Stanley McCormick Memorial Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine in Stanford, California; Chief, Psychiatry Service, Stanford Hospital and Clinics; and Editor-in-Chief of Academic Psychiatry.