The FOCUS Major Depressive Disorder Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Workbook
is a collection of practical and evidence-based materials to help psychiatrists develop and maintain a sound, up-to-date foundation of medical knowledge and clinical expertise, ultimately improving patient care. Designed to be a “one stop” resource to meet MOC requirements, the book aims to help psychiatrists assess their strengths and weaknesses in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with major depressive disorder, evaluate their knowledge and clinical skills, initiate a program of quality improvement, and advance their assessment, communication, diagnostic, and treatment skills.
To achieve those goals, the Workbook includes
- A Self-Assessment, consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions on major depressive disorder, designed to test current knowledge and its clinical application, thus helping the clinician identify areas of competence and those requiring additional study and improvement
- A Performance in Practice Clinical Module, which consists of a guided practice improvement program designed to meet Part 4 ABPN MOC requirements for clinical modules. This is divided into three stages: Chart Review, Improvement Plan, and a second or retrospective Chart Review
- Resources for use in an improvement plan, including a Real-Time Assessment Tool for Patients With Depression, the executive summary of the APA Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients With Major Depressive Disorder, and a section of expert-selected influential publications on depression to help psychiatrists stay current on advances in research and treatment
- Peer and Patient Survey Forms for use in the Feedback Modules (Part 4 of MOC)
- A detailed description and explanation of the MOC Program as presented by the ABPN, including details on record keeping, phase-in schedule, auditing, and more.
Exercises provided in the Workbook for reference are to be completed both in the worksheet and online. Credit is recorded online for MOC or CME activities through the APAeducation.org website, developed in compliance with ABPN reporting requirements. The FOCUS program promises to educate physicians, refresh their knowledge and skills, and facilitate the documentation of their ongoing professional development and competency.
CME Credit and MOC Approval
MOC Activity—Self-Assessment in Major Depressive Disorder provides up to 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits and is approved by the ABPN for MOC Part 2.
Begin date: January 2012
End date: January 2015
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this enduring material (the self-assessment) for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
MOC Activity—Performance in Practice: Clinical Module for the Care of Patients with Major Depressive Disorder provides 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits for completion of three STAGES in sequence. This module is approved by the ABPN for MOC Part 4.
Begin date: January 2012
End date: January 2015
The APA is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this Performance in Practice enduring material (the Clinical Module) for up to 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Improvement Activity—Real-Time Assessment Tool for Patients with Depression
Begin Date: February 2007
Program Review Date: December 2011
Program End Date: December 2014
The APA is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to use this book: earning CME credit and fulfilling MOC requirements. MOC part 2: self-assessment in major depressive disorder. MOC part 4: performance in practice: clinical module for the care of patients with major depressive disorder. Improvement activity: real-time assessment tool for patients with major depressive disorder. Influential publications: major depressive disorder. MOC part 4: sample peer and patient feedback forms. Appendix: ABPN requirements for maintenance of certification.
Deborah J. Hales, M.D.
Mark Hyman Rapaport, M.D.
Deborah J. Hales, M.D.,
is Director of the Division of Education at the American Psychiatric Association in Arlington, Virginia.
Mark Hyman Rapaport, M.D., is Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Emory University School of Medicine, and Chief of Psychiatric Services at Emory Healthcare System in Atlanta, Georgia.
Kristen Moeller is Director of Continuing Medical Education in the Division of Education at the American Psychiatric Association in Arlington, Virginia.